Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Modern Day Poet


"She walks in beauty," cried Byron,
The road less traveled chose Frost,
Wordsworth's a wandering cloud,
But oh my, who am I?

I have no one to call "My Captain,"
I can't go to Innisfree.
My raven flew off and left me
With nothing but misery.

With a drop of Emily's genius,
And Hardy's dark imagery,
I could live in secret solace
Of what a poet I could be!


Quotes and references from
"She walks in Beauty" by Lord Byron.
"The Road not Taken" by Robert Frost.
"I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud" by William Wordsworth.
"Oh Captain! My Captain!" by Walt Whitman.
"The Lake Isle of Innisfree" by William Butler Yeats.
"The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe.
Emily Dickinson, reclusive poetic genius.
Thomas Hardy, turn of the century cynic.

3 comments:

  1. I like how this poem depicts different poets and writers that have tried to capture the beautiful or the sublime feeling of being one self or for that matter trying to understand or find one self. On a side note thank you for the complement, you are far too kind. I wanted to make more references to greek myths like your Hades idea but I tried being original but I just decided to use the devil reference. I actually found the video after writing the poem and I was astonished that the cirque de sole had the perfect clip for me to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you allude to a multitude of great works. Interestingly, I recognized the lines, but could only link poet and poem with about half of them. It's funny how these things become ingrained into your subconscious.

    The poem, to me, sounds like its about the speaker's desire to live up to his/her predecessors. It's kind of like T.S. Eliot's sublime: you have that weight, that pressure, of your forerunners bearing down on you. It's only through the recognition of their accomplishments, the recognition of the "pressure" to somehow measure up, that one reaches the sublime. Is that kind of what you were going for?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you used the words of other poets to create a new poem all your own. It made complete sense and the organization of ideas flowed really well. Good job.

    ReplyDelete