Monday, January 25, 2010

Welcome, to Caitlin's Blog

In the 21st century people gain knowledge in vastly different ways than in any other time. We have traditional input such as books, newspapers and magazines. But now we have T.V., movies, music, radio, and most important to the global expansion of knowledge and entertainment: the Internet. Literacy no longer means being well informed about the Classics. While this is included in being considered literate, we must also master the Web and multi-media world, that has shrunk the size of the world into one that we grapple with daily. In this blog, I will comment on the literature that we will read in this class, from poetry to videogames, to world myths.
Literacy is increasingly important, and a functioning person of society must navigate smoothly through the enormous amount of input from a variety of sources. I was resistant to this idea for a long time, and as a result, this is my first blogging attempt. I now understand the necessity of integrating the new with the old, and understand computer literacy is just as important as book literacy. I think teachers need to bring a multi-genre approach to their students so they will be comfortable with all types of media, and be able to properly analyze the information they will find in these types of media, instead of taking everything at face value. I have not experienced a lot of media technology in my classes, but I can see that more and more this is what students will be doing. I look forward to lively discussions with my classmates and outside commentators.
Thanks,
Caitlin McGinn

No comments:

Post a Comment